[ale] netscape+mail+ipchains=headache

Jim Kinney jkinney at teller.physics.emory.edu
Sat Oct 2 13:36:41 EDT 1999

I'm puzzeled by this one.
Symptoms:
Can't get pop mail using netscape from gateway machine. Error: "Can't
connect, Server may be busy"

The gateway machine is running 2.2.12 with ipchains (3 line masqurading
rules). Other machine inside the gateway can connect out to same server
for pop mail with netscape. I can even connect to the server from another
inside machine to the account I'm trying to get. As the gateway is setting
next to another, I have tried it with simulaneous fetches. Gateway fails
every time. It used to work!! I'm thinking it failed after 2.2.12 install.
I know I compiled in ipmasquerading support. Does "networking loopback"
impact ipchains? I can ssh, telnet, http/browse, ftp and anything else
from that gateway to anything inside or outside the firewall. I haven't
disabled any ports in ipchains.

ipchains -P input allow
ipchains -P output allow
ipchains -P forward deny
ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s 192.168.0.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0

Not fatal, but anoying.

Jim Kinney