[ale] I love linux but ...Windows provides my living

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at NIIT.com
Mon Nov 29 09:28:43 EST 1999

I guess there is a lesson to be learned here - that absolutism in IT tends
to be harmful no matter how you direct it.  It's bad when Microsoft demands
total MS solutions from consultant shops in exchange for some plaque in the
lobby saying "Microsoft Preferred Solutions Provider" or whatever it was
called (I actually pinned down a prospective employer on this issue during
an interview, so I'm not making it up although I don't remember the exact
details) and it's bad to say, that's it, I'm pursuing Linux solutions to the
exclusion of everything else (I've heard THAT story too).  I think you have
to admit that your frustration in part comes from having "said that [you]
would never return to Windows for the last two years" and here you are,
forced to backpedal.

Here's what I recommend you do:

1.  Keep a foot in both MS and Linux platforms.  Dual-boot isn't enough -
use VMware to run one under the other or keep two machines at hand.

2.  As professionally and as rationally as you can, inform the manufacturers
of the Windows software you use the most that you would like to see a Linux
port of those products.

3.  Keep your eye out for new Linux-platform products that might approach
meeting your needs, give them a fair and thorough evaluation, and let the
manufacturers know your findings.

4.  Inform software manufacturers who you think might reasonably develop the
kind of sw you're after (Corel comes to mind) that you would be interested
in buying software that carried out such-and-such a function.

Some handwaving/rhetorical questions in response to some of your specific
points:

If Oracle, Informix, or Sybase (all DBMS sw plats with Linux ports) already
have a restaurant POS  app, how hard would it be to adapt to all-Linux?  Are
there perfectly good DOS or Windows RPOS apps that could be utilized under
Linux with dosemu/wine?

Don't diss kernel-compiling.  It isn't that hard to do (once you've gotten
the hang of it) and doesn't take a whole lot of time on fast systems.  I too
am a little put off by what all you have to do when adding hardware to a
pre-existing Linux system, but I really feel like that aspect of life with
Linux is going to get better over time, and pretty quickly.

- Jeff