[ale] newbie: modem configuration

Nick Robinson nicknackr at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 26 22:01:50 EST 1999

Redhat 5.2 workstation installation: startx from root

I used linuxconf, modemtool, and netcfg to enter my isp's domain:
earthlink.net, dns:207.217.126.81, local phone: 4450159, username: xxxxx
and password: xxxxx.

I added ppp0 and set it active.

My modem dialed in one time, and I couldn't tell if it was connected or
not.  I ran usernet and the ppp0 was red, then yellow

I have not been able to get it to dial in again.

In Win9x, you have an indicator in the sys tray that tells you when you are
connected.  What tells you in linux?

I have had this installed for two months, and this is the third or forth
time I've worked with it to get the internet going.  Not very user
friendly, not matter what the hype says.

I've used three books instructions on how to configure modems and networks
and this is as far as I've gotten.

Nick