[ale] Second drive as Linux

Joe Knapka jknapka at charter.net
Wed Nov 24 20:42:06 EST 1999

I tried to do basically what you want, without much luck.
However, it turned out to be pretty easy to get the NT
boot loader to load LILO off the second disk. Check out

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue36/larriera.html

The NT loader will boot basically any OS, provided you
can get an image of the relevant boot sector onto the
NT boot drive. That's right, it does NOT boot from the
actual boot sector, but from a file containing a copy.
This can cause some hair-pulling when you run LILO and
expect your new kernel image to boot - you have to
remember to "dd" the Linux boot sector onto the NT
boot drive first.

HTH,

-- Joe Knapka

"Gary S. MacKay" wrote:

> I have an existing drive with NT4 on it. I would like to add an 8gig drive
> for Linux and make it dual boot. Is there a safe way to install linux on
> the second drive, get lilo onto the first drive MBR, all without blowing
> up my NT drive? (Sorry, I have to have it for work!)
>
> - Gary
>
> -------------------------------
> Edison Information Technologies
> P.O. Box 554
> Milan, OH  44846-0554
> 419.499.7040
> www.EdisonInfo.com
> Gary at EdisonInfo.com

-- Joe Knapka
* I speak only for myself, not for The Software Monastery,
* which exists solely to provide an organization for which
* I can claim not to speak.
* http://whyme.penguinpowered.com/monastery.html