[ale] Looking but can't find: RH6.1 "driver disk"

Steven A. DuChene at VA Linux Systems sad at valinux.com
Wed Nov 24 12:50:13 EST 1999

On Wed, Nov 24, 1999 at 07:56:05AM -0700, Chris Ricker wrote:
> If you do an expert install (and under a few other circumstances as well),
> it will automatically prompt you for a driver disk.  If you don't have one,
> just hit cancel (or enter, or whatever).
>
> It's for hardware which isn't supported by the base distribution.  For
> example, if you have a new tulip clone card, it probably won't work with the
> v0.89H tulip driver that ships with Linux 2.2.12 and with RH 6.1.  There's
> an updated version of it you can download from RH which comes as a driver
> disk that you pop in at that point.

That may be true but if you do hit cancel, then it never attempts to find
a network card and you won't be able to install off the network. When it gets
to choices of install methods, the only choice will be CDROM. I think this
is a bug but that's just my opinion.
Steven A. DuChene	sad at valinux.com
Southeast US Systems Engineer
VA Linux Systems	http://www.valinux.com