[ale] samba conf

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at NIIT.com
Tue Nov 23 09:54:47 EST 1999

Luis -

Looks like some other (more capable than me) people are jumping in with help
too, but let me see if I can clarify the stuff I said that you say you don't
"get" yet.

An instance of Linux (i.e., Linux running on a single system) has a mass
storage system that can be thought of as an upside-down tree (right-side-up
tree roots?) that starts with / (partial representation below - hope you can
read mail in fixed-font):

                  /

   -----------------------------------
   |        |         |         |
  /var    /home     /usr      /etc

            --------------------
            |         |
      /usr/local  /usr/src

And so on.  Once you've created a partition and formatted it, you can use
mkdir to create a directory anywhere on this tree and then use the mount
command to attach the partition to that location.  I've been mounting my
additional partitions "underneath" /, but you may find it more sensible to
mount yours underneath /home/samba.  As someone else has already said, using
NFS or smbmount, you can have whole sections of your tree that aren't even
on the same computer.

To give you an idea where this could take you, you could set up a whole
office's worth of Linux
workstations and have them mount parts of /usr and /etc from a central
machine for the sake of client-side disk space conservation.

I also wanted to make sure that you understand that the issue of making a
partition on a drive and getting it formatted and mounted is completely
separate from the issue of getting the partition shared out to WinNT.  The
latter involves the Samba suite, which acts upon whatever directory
arrangement you present it with.  Once you get the disk stuff behind you,
then it's time to take on the Samba stuff.

The learning curve here is significant.  Acknowledge to yourself that you're
trying to achieve a number of significant accomplishments at once:  install
Linux, add a drive, set up Samba.  I was able to get Samba to work
successfully on the THIRD or FOURTH Linux system I set up.  Once you have
reached a comfort level with the machine on its own, I believe you will be
able to get Samba going just fine - and once you have a comfort level with
THAT, I expect you ought to be able to eliminate ALL FOUR NT file servers.

This gets me to thinking.  It's important for you to go ahead and understand
Samba, but before you try to go whole hog, I would recommend that you pause
and try to get two more things under your belt:  working with tape drives
and RAID (either in software or hardware).  To set up a real file server
regardless of OS, you need to be able to back the puppy up and survive the
loss of a hard drive.

- Jeff