[ale] Bad timekeeping

Cor van Dijk cor.angela at mindspring.com
Sat Nov 20 13:59:44 EST 1999

Hi all,
I have a problem with my clock. I am running Redhat 6.0 on a pentium
system. Clock has begun to run slow about two minutes per hour over the
last few months. Redhat's battery monitor tells me that my (BIOS)
battery is low. I measured it and it was 3.15 V. According to the specs
for the motherboard it is supposed to be 3.3 V. Now 3.15 V does not
strike me as low. Anyway, I got a new battery, measured it and it was
3.24 V. I put the new one in. Redhat's battery monitor still tells me
that my battery is low. Also, the clock *still* runs slow by about two
minutes per hour. What is especially curious is that the clock runs ok
with the system powered down; seems to slow down when the system is
running. Is my BIOS chip dying? or what? Anyone seen something like
this?
Any help is appreciated. Cor.