[ale] using DUMP, must I write tape marks for eof & eod ?

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at access1.net
Sat Nov 20 02:03:44 EST 1999

Greetings !

Must I write tape marks when using dump or does it do so automatically ?

I am unable to position the tape so that I can read the last file after
dumping. Explicitly, I am dumping /, /usr and /var, in that order. I can
read / and /usr OK, but not /var.

To write /:
	/sbin/dump 0auf bsdbox:/dev/nrst0 /dev/rwd0s1a
To write /usr:
	/sbin/dump 0auf bsdbox:/dev/nrst0 /dev/rwd0s4e
To write /var:
	/sbin/dump 0auf bsdbox:/dev/nrst0 /dev/rwd0s3e

To read /:
	mt -f /dev/nrst0 rewind
	/sbin/restore -t -f bsdbox:/dev/nrst0
This procedure then successfully sends the root dir to the screen

To read /usr:
	mt -f /dev/nrst0 rewind
	mt -f /dev/nrst0 fsf 1
	/sbin/restore -t -f bsdbox:/dev/nrst0
This procedure then properly send /usr dir to the screen

To attempt to read /var:
	mt -f /dev/nrst0 rewind
	mt -f /dev/nrst0 fsf 2............
I then get -> "Input Output error"