[Fwd: [ale] web admin]

Bryan R. Mattern bm at datapace.com
Fri Nov 19 20:09:32 EST 1999

--------------0523B39CBBA6E3B49DC80655

Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 20:09:09 -0500
 From: "Bryan R. Mattern" <bm at datapace.com>
To: cfowler at aimgroup.com
Subject: Re: [ale] web admin

Christopher Fowler wrote:

> It seems webmin is the best I've seen and so many features.

Agreed.  I use it on nearly all the machines I admin with and have never
had any problems.  Be sure to compile it with SSL support and be sure to
check out the modules.  There is a java SSH client (from Mindbright,
IRCC) that you can use to ssh the machine you are running webmin on (or
any other machine, for that matter).

The best thing about webmin is that it will install on several
architectures, so if you have a fundamental understanding of *nix
concepts, you can use it to do basic admin on Linux, Solaris, HP/UX,
Irix, AIX, even Mac OS X, remotely, graphically.  Even if you are just
learning, it won't let you tear things up too badly, less than you can
do as root on the command line.

Webmin is one of the tools I would have a hard time doing without.  This
guy could make so much money from selling it, yet, it is open source.
When it hits 1.0, there will be a commercial and free version, both will
use the same code base, the commercial version will have additional
modules.  Nonetheless, I am thankful for people like this guy that gives
us cool toys to play with.

--Bryan