[ale] LILO Problems

Eric Z. Ayers eric.ayers at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 18 07:37:16 EST 1999

Scott,

I was looking through the LILO docs

/usr/doc/lilo-0.20/doc/User_Guide.ps on my red hat 5.2 system

and saw 2 different things it might be:

0x04 is "Sector not Found"  This typically indicates a geometry
mismatch.  If you're booting a new-written disk image, verify whether
it was created for disks with the same geometry as the one you're
using.  If you're booting from a SCSI disk or a large IDE disk, you
should check whether LILO has obtained correct geometry data from the
kernel or whetehr the geometry definition correspondsto the read disk
gemetry (see section 3.4) Removing compact may help too. So may adding
'linear'

0x40 "Seek Failure" This might be a media problem.  Try booting again.

Did you compile this kernel on your machine specifically for a floppy
(that's what make bzdisk does, I think)?  or did you just do a 'make
zImage' or 'make bzImage'?

If you do a make clean; make bzImage, you might get a kernel you can
boot from your hard drive.

You could also try adding the 'linear' option to /etc/lilo.conf

-Eric.