[ale] php4

Bryan R. Mattern bm at datapace.com
Wed Nov 17 19:06:04 EST 1999

Zhongbin Yu \"jerry\" wrote:

> Now the server will take both. Would this qualify as 'use PHP3 and PHP4'
> on the same server?                                   ^^^
> Will there be other difference that cause PHP4 module fail to interpret
> PHP3 code and PHP4 code at the same time?

I was referring to compiling apache with both mod_php(3) and mod_php4, I
think it will complain.  Yes, the Zend engine will parse php3 code.
There are a few exceptions, but other than static variable behavior,
class member initializers and windows dll things, everything should work
as expected.  Most of the changes won't impact 99% of the users.  You
can check out specific problems at:
http://www.php.net/version4/incompatibilities.php

Much faster, too.  You may want to recompile and set ZEND_DEBUG=0 if
speed is a big thing.  Also, get 4.0b3.

/bryan