[ale] Bellsouth ADSL very slow

Cade Thacker cadethacker at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 16 12:06:58 EST 1999

Good Morning,
This is my first time posting to this list.  I just got on the list about 3
days ago.  I am excited because not only did I discover a wealth of
knowledge,  but it seems like a bunch of cool people too. Maybe, just Maybe,
I will have something to contribute.  (i hope).

Two second note about me,  I have been messing with linux on and off since
January of 1997.  I would say my skills are slightly above Linux newbie
level.  I understand most of the ideas, but will be the first to admit that
I have years to learn.  Althought I have been around networking for the last
4 years.  I understand IP, DHCP, etc.  But I have learned the beauty of
Google.com and deja.com for my linux questions.

We have HellSouth ADSL.  I am trying to run it into my linux box(RH61) and
then use ipmasq to serve the ADSL to everybody else(about 6 other users).  I
first set up a modem to mindspring to test out my network and ipmasq.
Everything worked great.  So I pulled the nic that Hellsouth is using for
the MAC(from the win box) and put it in the Linux box.  It will pull an IP
with DHCP,  but ping times are in the thousands, sometimes 10,000s.  It
works just reeeeeaaaaal slow. Let me stress that it works ,  It resloves,
and goes places fine if given enough time.    If I then start ipmasq for the
heck of it.  The users also work, but same thing, real slow(makes sense). We
have a Win. box that Bellsouth originally set up.  It is working as the
proxy until I can get the Linux box configured.  It works fine so I know
that the line works correct. Last note, I waited on hold for an hour
yesterday so that I can change my MAC with them to a Netgear card that was
recommended to my by Linux General Store.  So that makes two nics that have
worked the same so I am pretty sure it can't be the drivers.

Anyway I figured since this is an ATL based listserv (with people from
everywhere) maybe somebody else has run into this problem.  Loaded RH6.1(it
was so smooth).  I am in Athens, GA, but I think it is the same as ATL. I
don't think they are using PPPoe, but I not sure how to check, but it
appears to be straight DHCP.

Final note,  I am sorry this was such a long post, but I was trying to give
everybody as much info as possible, so I would give a very clear picture.
Thanks in advance for all the help.  And of course I will continue
researching.

Cade Thacker
averick.com
Systems Admin
Programmer
Jack of all Trades
Master of Nothing

Loosely stolen from Thomas Jefferson:  A man who can only figure out the
right way to spell a word is a very dull man.