[ale] copying lps to cds

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. critter at wizvax.net
Sun Nov 14 09:29:28 EST 1999

In the interest of moving towards some real, acutal, bona fide answers, I
am going to offer what I have, although I admit it is not much.

Sox will probably not be useful.  I have been unsuccessful in getting sox
to record directly from a device.  I hven't yet found an app to do this,
but I haven't been trying very hard, either.

You *will* need to record to WAV files or their equivalent.  The CD
recording process is very persnickety and timing sensitive.  Recording
from a PCM-oid file will yield the best results.  It would also really
suck if you were recording the last track on a CD and somebody bumped your
turntable, because you can't erase the CD.  Recording to your HDD would
afford you the opportunity to redo just the one track.

Record your files at 16-bit, 44100 samples/sec, stereo.  This is the only
format that is compatible with audio CD's.

You should probably clean your LP's and put a new stylus in your turntable
(and check the alignment, if you don't have a P-type cartridge) in order
to get the best results.

I hope this is helpful.

--
Critter at Wizvax.Net
Don't Steal - The government hates competition.