[ale] dial-up set-up

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Nov 9 12:13:41 EST 1999

> My advice to you is to upgrade to 6.1.  KPPP works as seemlessly as
> Windows Dial-Up networking (for novice setup).  You just need to know
> your ISP's DNS, the right phone # and that is it.  and your username and pw!

I need a clarification. Does KPPP monitor for outgoing packets and
automagically bring the line up when a request for the network comes along?

Also does KDE need to be up and running (along with X) in order to get
this functionality?

I'm just asking because it simply would not have occured to me to run
X and KDE on a box to get the same functionality as diald or PPPD
configed with outdial.

BAJ