[ale] dial-up set-up

Richard Whitfield RCW at megatrend.com.hk
Tue Nov 9 05:55:31 EST 1999

Hi,

I am quite a novice at Linux and so this will probably be a bit of a silly
question, but...

What is the most popular way of setting up a system so that it will
automatically dial into an ISP when needed?

I am using the Redhat 6.0 distribution. I have looked at various HowTo's
(ppp, ISP-Hookup, modem, etc) I have also found this thing called diald that
seems quite reasonable. The end result is that there seem to be a million
ways of skinning this cat, and I want to know a good one - reliable and
relatively straightforward.

I want to set up a server on my home network that can be the Internet
gateway for the client PCs. In the PC world I have used wingate for this
task in the past.

Thanks for any help people can give me,

Richard Whitfield
Megatrend Information Services Ltd.