[ale] Microsoft open source API's

Brian K. Murphy bmurphy at powerh.net
Thu Nov 4 17:17:40 EST 1999

A little off topic, but I thought it might be worthwhile read.  I work in a
Microsoft Shop (I'm the one who "secretly" runs the linux servers for email
and DNS..and DHCP..and Samba...etc) and I picked up a copy of Microsoft
Certified Professional magazine.  Flipping through it I read the last page
article titled "Peeking Under the Hood".  It is written by a MCP (going by a
"false name" for unknown reasons :)) who basically says microsoft should at
least open up the API so developers have full access to the OS.
HMMMMM....so we aren't the only ones who think that "Microsoft Thinking" is
stupid at the very least.  This person says that it won't make any
difference for the MCP's and MCSE's to complain, but the Fortune 500
companies that the MCP's and MCSE's work for should complain....Yes, yes,
yes...

And then once they open up the api..maybe the source code too...dare we ask
for so much???

Anyways...hope that was worth the read..

Keith Murphy