[ale] OT: Perl Question

Mike Fletcher fletch at phydeaux.org
Wed Nov 3 21:21:13 EST 1999

    Robert> Is there a form of stat() that will tell me if something
    Robert> has a file open for writing in perl?  I'm poking around
    Robert> perldoc, etc but nothing is just jumping out at me.

        There's nothing in perl (or in POSIX for that matter) that
will tell you if another process has a file open.  Any things which
do so (fuser, lsof) do so in a platform specific manner (although if
you've got one of the others handy they might work).

        At any rate, the other suggestions of sending a 0 byte lock
file sound much better.

678 443-6239(w)       |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=