[ale] mail server program

Brian K. Murphy bmurphy at powerh.net
Tue Nov 2 15:12:36 EST 1999

I currently run a NT based mail server (I-mail by Ipswitch).  It is a royal
pain in the butt to administer.  Not to mention I just don't like NT
software.  So...here is what I want to do.  I need to set up a Linux based
mail system.  I have looked at sendmail, qmail and a few others.  One thing
I am very confused about is "virtual domain" support.  Under just about any
NT mail program you can receive mail for multiple domains....powerh.net and
perdido.com for example.  I don't really see that under any Unix programs,
and if I do see it, it seems to be very kludgy.  You can trick sendmail to
get mail for multiple domains, but everyone in all domain must have a
distinct mailbox ...for example with the two domains listed above you
couldn't have bob at powerh.net and bob at perdido.com on the same system because
they would have the same mailbox.  Am I all wrong about this, or is there a
program that provides a good, clean, easy to administer, not to complex to
install, solution to this??

Keith Murphy

PowerHouse Communications