[ale] Another odd procmail question

Joe Bayes jbayes at occs.cs.oberlin.edu
Sun May 30 12:22:16 EDT 1999

Has anybody ever had a problem using a combination of fetchmail,
sendmail, and procmail? I want to dl my mail from a mailbox, and then
pass it to procmail to sort into folders. I have the line
"|/usr/bin/procmail # jbayes" in my .forward. When I try to d/l my
mail, the messages all bounce back to the sender with the following
error:

"|/usr/bin/procmail # jbayes"
    (expanded from: <jbayes at localhost>)

sh: procmail not available for sendmail programs
554 "|/usr/bin/procmail # jbayes"... Service unavailable

I found something in the docs about sendmail not wanting to execute
arbitrary programs unless they were in /etc/shells, but I followed the
Sendmail docs' directions for doctoring up /etc/shells and it still
didn't work.

It seems like this combination shouldn't be too uncommon. Anybody else
ever had this problem?

--joe