[ale] Iomega products and Linux (fwd)

Tom Wiencko tew at wiencko.com
Wed May 26 17:08:12 EDT 1999

Unless there is a specific exclusion in the written warranty from
Iomega concerning what operating systems are supported, this person
has legal recourse against Iomega based on the UCC and the terms and
conditions of the warranty.

In reading the closest at hand copy of an Iomega warranty I have
available (from a Zip drive) I see no exclusion concerning operating
system, or even any limitation of what software can be connected to
the drive (there is an exclusion about warranty of any provided
software).

Somebody at Iomega needs to deal with this.  As an Iomega shareholder,
I am not happy about what could turn into an ugly lawsuit.

-Tom

Vernard Martin wrote:

> Got this off the redhat-announce mailing list. Thought it might be of interest
> to the ALE folks since many of us have Iomega products.
>
> --V
>
> From: Dominic Mitchell <dominic at cedep.net>
> Subject: Iomega products and Linux

... mucho stuff deleted ...

> To whom it concerns,
>
> I have been very deceived by the customer supports that Iomega
> provides to their customers.  I have purchased two years ago a tape
> backup from Iomega, a Ditto easy3200 insider.  Last night the drive
> failed, it is still under warranty as the warranty expires on July 27
> 1999.
>
> Calling Iomega I have been told that if I do not run a Microsoft
> Operating system, then Iomega cannot do nothing about the drive.
> Basically I need to be able to test the drive under Microsoft.
> Since I do not have Microsoft installed, then it is like having no
> warranty at all.

.... a lot more deleted .....

Tom Wiencko                                              tew at wiencko.com
President - Wiencko & Associates, Inc.                    (404) 255-2330
Telecom Consulting & Project Development -- Wireline, Wireless, Internet