[ale] Downloading Linux the easy (?) way

marnuke MarNuke at bellsouth.net
Tue May 25 11:52:17 EDT 1999

There is also debian images which can be had at cdimage.debian.org
But it's seams to be down right now.

And also ftp://ftp.linux.org.au

lol

/\/\ar/\/uke

> files. I was wondering is somebody could point me to a way to grab an
> entire distribution in a one-shot download or a way to automate the DL
> process. I have been playing with various CD-ROMs for a while now but
> keeping up with the latest versions has become annoying.

Yes, this is doable. Both RedHat and SuSE have taken the liberties of
creating ISO filesystem images of their distributions and made them
available for download. You can use almost any cd-burning software to
write this ISO image directly to this disk and have a bootable linux
installation. The two images that I am aware of are the SuSE 6.0
evaluation image available at ftp.cc.gatech.edu:pub/linux/distributions/suse/
and the redhat 6.0 image available at
ftp.cc.gatech.edu:pub/linux/distributed/redhat/

hope this helps

Vernard
---
Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu)  http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/
"Luck is just one of my many skills." - Isamu from Macross Plus