[ale] failed to set default fon5t path 'unix/:-1' HELP

Jeff Dilcher dilcher at cueva.com
Sat May 22 15:19:17 EDT 1999

Since I posted, I read this in the /etc/X11/XF86Config

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated
together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent
of
# the X server to render fonts.
   FontPath   "unix/:-1"

I commented out the 4th line, which now allows me to start X
using, I presume, default fonts (and no extra fonts via the xfont
server?).
I am guessing that my Xfonts server, or something, didn't start
properly,
and therefore when X attempts to start up, it can't access the font
server,
and gives the profanities listed below.

BTW, I am staring X automagically on boot via, I belive, run level 5