[ale] Finally!!

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Mon May 17 15:43:16 EDT 1999

Robert Heaven wrote:

> Problems:
>
> 1. I wish the RH setup had of been able to let me know that the partition
> sizes I had selected weren't large enough for the packages I had selected.
> Took me 2 tries just to get to the point where I could do a "df" and see
> how they should be.

I don't know which 5.2 you got, but the one I have has a manual that
gives some suggestions for file system sizes.  This will vary
substantially, dependent on what you plan to install.  My quake2
directory is 375197 blocks. :)

> 2. I had trouble recognizing the Zip drive. Linux had no trouble at all
> finding it. However I didn't know it until I looked at the boot-up messages
> that it was seeing it as a hard drive (hdd). At that point I understood why
> I was getting an I/O error during the setup program and had to skip a disk.
> So all I had to do then was put in a zip disk and run fdisk /dev/hdd and
> build a file system on it. Now, all I need to do is figure out how to
> create a mount point called /mnt/zip to go along with the /mnt/cdrom and
> /mnt/floppy that are already there.

mkdir /mnt/zip

> 3. I have a Compaq V50 monitor (15"), which is not in the list of monitors,
> so I had to select the generic Extended SVGA (800x600) monitor type. It
> seems to look OK.

If you have the docs on your monitor, you can probably select to custom
build your config file and get better resolution.

> ..... (and
> if you're wondering why I haven't loaded Linux on this laptop, I can give
> you 2 good reasons: Built-in win-modem and Quicken)

External modem and wine. :)

> Over the next few days (or weeks) I'll be installing another NIC and
> setting up all the little do-dads for building my internet
> gateway/firewall/proxy/etc. Wish me luck.

Good luck.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl