[ale] RedHat 5.2 and an Intel 386

Patrick Ramsey Ramsey_Patrick at promina.org
Mon May 17 12:56:50 EDT 1999

Chances are if you have a sound card in your 386, then you probably have a proprietery cdrom hooking to the sound card.  These are not ide cdroms and will not work with any other device other than the sound card that is in your machine.  However, you should have an standard ide controller on the motherboard.  Go by you a cheapo 8 spin cdrom and hook it up... (you can find them at yardsales all across america)  Anything faster than 8 spin is overkill for the bus in that machine so don't spend too much cashola.

>>> <jester1 at mindspring.com> 05/17 11:23 AM >>>
Well, this is my first foray into the Linux world.  I've got a 386
that I'm trying to install RedHat 5.2 on and i'm having some problems.

The first problem is that RedHat doesn't recognize my CD-ROM drive.

I've tried to follow the instructions in the installation guide, but
they haven't worked.  I figured I'd install a newer CD-ROM in the
machine, but when I went to do it I found that the bus cable didn't
have enough pins.

Is there any way, short of getting another box, that I can solve this?

Any ideas are appreciated.  For right now i'm not averse to putting
off the install until I get a newer PC and can turn my P133 into my
Linux machine, but I'd really like to get this 386 cranking Linux.

Thanks,

Jester

/*
 *    if (( OS == "Microsoft" )) {
 *       alert("Captain, we have been scanned by a hostile entity!");
 *       alert("Shields!!!  Arm Photon Torpedoes... FIRE!!!");
 *       destroy_it( );
 *       alert("He's dead, Jim!");
 *    }
 */