[ale] !!!More video wars!!!

Matthew Brown matthew.brown at cordata.net
Thu May 13 10:46:40 EDT 1999

Okay, folks!  It looked like the consensus was still saying Matrox
Millenium.  But I noticed some traffic recommending 2D
cards that confused me. Is 3D hardware acceleration supported under Linux?
Since this is the first real upgrade I've done in a while, I am being
somewhat 'detail-oriented' about the selection.

So!  To broaden the debate, I have included the Video Adapter HCL from
another less-popular O/S below.

Let the games begin!

Matrox Millennium, Millennium II, Millennium II AGP,
Mystique, and Mystique 220 cards
a.. Matrox MGA-100 and MGA-200 chipset-based cards, such as:
Productiva G100, Millennium G200, Mystique G200, Marvel
b.. ATI 3DRage II, 3DRage Pro, 3DRage Pro Turbo, 3DRage LT Pro chipset-based
cards, such as:
ATI All-in-Wonder, All-in-Wonder Pro, Xpert at Work, Xpert at Work Pro, Xpert98
c.. RIVA 128 chipset-based cards, such as:
Canopus Total3D 128V, Diamond Viper V330, STB Velocity 128
d.. Virge, Virge DX, Virge GX (but not Virge VX) card chipsets
e.. Some NeoMagic chipset-based graphics (used in many portables)