[ale] Oracle on Linux problem

Quinton McCombs quintonm at bellsouth.net
Wed May 12 23:29:18 EDT 1999

I was shocked at the number of people who offered help getting Oracle
installed on Linux.  Due to the number of responses, I am just going to
post the detailed problem to the list(s).

I followed the linux to the installation doc  at
http://jordan.fortwayne.com/oracle/oralinux.html and followed very
carefully (also tried the Oracle supplied instructions).  I did not make
any kernel modifications.  I only chose to install the following options in
the oracle installer :  Client software, Net 8, RDBMS, and PLSQL.  The
message below was received after it started coping the files.

--------------------------------- O/S Error ---------------------------------^
| +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
| | Error during action 'Creating ntcontab.o'.                             | |
| |                                                                        | |
| |Command:  make -f /oracle/product/8.0.5/network/lib/ins_network.mk      | |
| |ntcontab.o                                                              | |
| |                                                                        | |
| |(if [ "compile" = "compile" ] ;then \                                   | |
| |  /oracle/product/8.0.5/bin/gennttab > ntcontab.c ;\                    | |
| |  cc  -c ntcontab.c ;\                                                  | |
| |  rm -f /oracle/product/8.0.5/lib/ntcontab.o ;\                         | |
| |  mv ntcontab.o /oracle/product/8.0.5/lib ;fi)                          | |
| |/oracle/product/8.0.5/bin/gennttab:                                     | |
| |/oracle/product/8.0.5/bin/get_platform: No such file or directory       | |
| |ntcontab.c:7: sys/types.h: No such file or directory                    | |
| |mv: ntcontab.o: No such file or directory                               | |
| +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |

Choosing retry always got this screen again.  Telling the installer to
ignore got the next screen.

--------------------------------- O/S Error ---------------------------------^
| +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
| | Error during action 'Creating nnfgt.o'.                                | |
| |                                                                        | |
| |Command:  make -f /oracle/product/8.0.5/network/lib/ins_network.mk      | |
| |nnfgt.o                                                                 | |
| |                                                                        | |
| |(if [ "compile" = "compile" ] ;then \                                   | |
| |  /oracle/product/8.0.5/bin/gennfgt > nnfgt.c ;\                        | |
| |  cc  -c nnfgt.c ;\                                                     | |
| |  rm -f /oracle/product/8.0.5/lib/nnfgt.o ;\                            | |
| |  mv nnfgt.o /oracle/product/8.0.5/lib ;fi)                             | |
| |/oracle/product/8.0.5/bin/gennfgt:                                      | |
| |/oracle/product/8.0.5/bin/get_platform: No such file or directory       | |
| |nnfgt.c:7: sys/types.h: No such file or directory                       | |
| |mv: nnfgt.o: No such file or directory                                  | |

Same thing here.  Retry has no effect.  Telling the installer to ignore
causes it to abort the installation.

Any ideas?????