[ale] RedHat 6.0 PATH Configuration

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at switchco.com
Wed May 12 18:32:18 EDT 1999

OK -

	I ftp'd RedHat 6.0 from ftp.cc.gatech.edu and did an ftp upgrade
install from one box to the other with no hitches! Pretty nice stuff.
Next I'll blow away one of my boxes and do a fresh install to see how it
goes. Meanwhile, those little b at st@rds at RedHat have seen fit to change
how they establish the PATH environment variable. Whereas before, all I
had to do was edit the /etc/profile and whatever I stuck in the
beginning of the path would end up being the beginning of the path; now,
RedHat 6.0 insists on putting /usr/bin in the front no matter what I do
inside /etc/profile! This really stinks because I typically install my
egcs upgrades (and other development tools) in /usr/local/* and want
them to generally be called first in line. I also like not having to
uninstall the original stuff from /usr/* just in case I need to quickly
I can do a quick reality check on my tools.

	Anyway, can someone tell me the proper place to establish my path
priorities (I guess this includes LD_LIBRARY_PATH as well) for RedHat
6.0?

	thanx & later,

		Ben Scherrey