[ale] internet access

foxtrot at cc.gatech.edu foxtrot at cc.gatech.edu
Wed May 12 08:04:36 EDT 1999

> Basically, for the lower-rates, you have ADSL or ISDN. =20
> MediaOne might provide cable access in your area, but I wouldnt =
> recommend it because a) the bandwidth is shared, b) I've heard quite a =
> few horror stories regarding it, and c) why pay their rates when you can =
> pay $59.95/mo and get a dedicated 1.544mbps connection (dedicated!) =
> through BellSouth.

Note that this "dedicated" connection is not all it seems.

With cablemodem, you share one wire between everyone on the wire. With
ADSL, you're the only person on your wire... which goes to a box where
a bunch of other peoples' wires show up, and you then share 1.5 megabits
back to the central office.

So you share either way.

The real issue is I'm not sure there's much wisdom in placing your internet
service in the hands of people with the mindset of a cable company (says
the person who has a cable modem only because I can't get ADSL...).

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                           ,-.
Georgia Tech College of Computing CNS  ( <