FW: [ale] Re: RH 6.0

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Tue May 11 11:20:20 EDT 1999

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Eric Z. Ayers wrote:

> After we installed RH 6.0, we noticed a few problems on our Cyrix
> P233+.  We are on a masqueraded network w/o DNS:
>
> - gnome / enligntenment was S-l-O-w... but turning off the solid window
>    dragging feature sped things up.

There's also the slowness starting up X if you don't run it from gdm / xdm /
kdm.

> - running su is s-L-o-W  (I don't think we installed NIS). It seems to
>    hang for several minutes the first time you run it.

That I've not seen, though I just use sudo.  Make sure that files are first
in nsswitch.conf and that you're not running nscd (the glibc2.1 ns caching
daemon. It's only a good idea if you're doing NIS/NIS+).  Other than that,
I'm out of ideas beyond what a strace might tell you.

> - set -o vi in bash doesn't work (someone else commented on this)

Look at /etc/inputrc and edit out all the junk where they tried to map keys
for you.

> Other than that it looks pretty cool...  The boot sequence looks kind
> of HP-UX'ish and seems to give you lots of nice details about what's
> going on.

You can fix that in /etc/sysconfig/init if it gets annoying.

later,
chris

--
Chris Ricker                                               kaboom at gatech.edu