[ale] Problems with my BellSouth connection

Stephen F Nicholas syssfn at panther.gsu.edu
Mon May 10 00:31:02 EDT 1999

Hello Ale,
  Has anyone else had problems connecting to BellSouth.net over the past
two weekends ?  My problems seem to disappear during the week.  I'm
running RH 5.2 and I'm using ppp via control-panel to dial in.  It's
worked for quite a while now.  I used to have a chap script to connect,
but it 'mysteriously' broke a while back.  Talked with a BellSouth rep via
ALE and he gave me some pointers.  They made some changes, but said it
should not affect me.  I fixed the problem by enabling PAP, which the
BellSouth rep said wasn't necessary, but it was the only way I could get
the connection to work.

  I'm running into the same problem, but it only seems to happen on the
weekends.  The BellSouth Helpdesk seems to think it's either a 'dirty'
line or a switch having problems.  I dialed into my GSU account using 95B
:-( and it connected immediatedly, whereas the BS connection under 95 took
over 2 minutes to connect.  Inquiring minds want to know..

Steve

| Steve Nicholas             |                        |
| Unix System Programmer     |  A risk is not a risk  |
| Georgia State University   |  until it is taken.    |
| snicholas at gsu.edu          |                        |
| 404-651-2639               |                        |