[ale] Linux & isa modem

Cor van Dijk cor.angela at mindspring.com
Sun May 9 16:43:21 EDT 1999

I had something similar a few years ago. I had everything unplugged except the
telephone line and that is how the surge got in. There is not much at those
ports to smother a spike such in contrast to the power supply. Anyway, that
strike destroyed  my modem, my motherboard, a parallel port on my other
computer,  my deskjet, a radio to name just a few things. I learned my lesson:
always unplug *everything* when lightning is around. Bought also several
quality surge suppressors, but I don't really believe in them: nothing will
stop a direct strike! I got a replacement for the parallel port (works off
0x278 now instead of 0x378). If your serial port is the only thing damaged
then it may be possible to replace that. Sorry that I can not offer more help.