[ale] Postgres

Bob Kruger bkruger at mindspring.com
Fri May 7 13:50:07 EDT 1999

At 11:17 AM 5/7/99 -0500, you wrote:

>>Postgres does not allow you to view the users in the manner you described.
>>The program that does allow this is MySQL - you may want to install MySQL
>>instead.
>
>Ok, well assuming I'm logged in at root, how would I go about creating a
database I can access with PGACCESS or through psql.  I've gone through
Postgres' documentation but it seemed to gloss over how one should proceed
with basic setup.

Postgres is set up not to allow access to anyone logged in as root.  The
authors consider this to be a serious security risk.

Check your /etc/password file.  If you see a username of "postgres", you
should be all right.  If memory serves, SUSE does this.  If not, then
create a user named postgres and set up a password for the user.

Next, locate the file files psql, createdb, and createuser.  Su as
postgres, and cd to that directory.  You may have to run initlocation to
set up the basic files needed by postgres.  After you have done that, run
createuser to create the users who will have access to postgres.  Run
createdb to create the database you will put your data into.

Once postgres is started, you can then use the psql agent to enter data,
create tables, create indecies, etc.

One note - I found that postgres v6.4.2 was faster and a bit more stable
than the 6.3.2 version.  This is my opinion alone.  To get this you will
have to download it from ftp://ftp.postgres.org, configure, compile, and
install.  Its not that difficult, but if that is a bit frightening version
6.3.2 should be just fine.

I hope this helps.

>I have tossed around setting up MySQL but according to a little chart on
MySQL's own page Postgres handles searches faster and MySQL has no support
for stored procedures (which alot of my db work hinges on).

My experience is that MySQL was faster on the searches - much faster to the
eye.  As to the stored procedures, I usually use either perl, bash scripts,
or ODBC with MS Access.  I don't know if the latest MySQL will allow stored
procedures.  MySQL seems a little more forgiving for syntax errors, but
again that is opinion.

Of course, with Linux based systems, you can install both for no cost but
your time and do your own eval... ;-).

Best of luck.  If you have any problems, drop me a note and I will assist
as I can.

Bob