[ale] Firewalling question

Michael masmith at gw.total-web.net
Thu May 6 22:30:11 EDT 1999

On Thu, 06 May 1999, Glenn R. Stone wrote:
> UnderGrid Founder wrote:
>
> >         I've had the pleasure of playing with a Linux box with Samba on a
> > cablemodem network and it is quite humorous as we supplied the provider with
> > several inches of printouts of account passwords (including the provider's
> > NT Administator account password) from just a few hours of sniffing the
> > cable modem segment just to prove how insecure it really was... 20 mile radius
> > LAN on one segment... our provided proof made them re-think the arch design
> > and segment'd the network into smaller chunks...
>
> OK, now how do I get my own cablemodem admins (in this case, MediaNone)
> to listen when I turn in the fact that they've got a security risk
> running around on their own network banging on random telnet ports?
>
> --gs

	My guess is that they will tell you that the security is up to you.  If you
read closely in the contract, they(cablevision does, I don't know about media
one) state that any material deleted or stolen from your machine does not
put cablevision at fault.  To be honest with you,  securing your machine is up
to you.  Even if media one fixed its netbios problems, you can still have users that
forget to comment out the telnet port in their config files.  I guess the key
is read and learn.......