[ale] Firewalling question

Stan.Hearn at ipst.edu Stan.Hearn at ipst.edu
Thu May 6 12:55:48 EDT 1999

At 09:39 AM 5/6/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I would hope that there would be a way to keep his machine(s) from showing
>up in
>Network Neighborhood on other machines in the first place; I figure his stuff
>would be harder to hack if you didn't know what the machines' names were.

And now for today's tip...

HIDING A MACHINE FROM NETWORK BROWSERS

You can hide a machine from network browsers, yet still have it
available for connection. The process is simple. You'll use NT's
Registry Editor to modify the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters

To hide a machine, set the value Hidden from 0 to 1, and restart your
system. You can still connect to the computer, but the browser won't
display it.

TOP NEWS FROM PC WORLD
Catch of the Day: Free PCs
For the complete story, visit http://www.pcworld.com/tipnews