[ale] MS-Office replacement?

Nomad the Wanderer nomad at orci.com
Tue May 4 22:34:31 EDT 1999

I like StarOffice also, but when I run it, it core's on me
when I go to open a file.

Robert

Thus spake Glenn R. Stone (gstone at mediaone.net):

> Wandered Inn wrote:
> >
> > Scott Robertson wrote:
> > >
> > > Howdy,
> > >
> > > I now have one of the managers here inquiring about MS-Office
> > > replacements.  Do any of you have any input on what is good, better, or
> > > best?
>
> > I've heard good things about Wordperfect and Star Office, but my
> > experience is limited to Applixware.  That being said, I've been very
> > pleased with Applixware.  I've used the word processor, spreadsheet and
> > presentation tools and they've worked well.
> >
> > I've also imported word and powerpoint docs with limited success.
>
> I've used both.  Applixware is lighter weight, faster, and has a builder
> tool with it.  StarOffice is relatively huge (the download alone is 61mb),
> but converts Office 97 (Applix only does Office 95/Word 6) and is a more
> mature application.  (StarOffice consistiently wins software awards in
> its native Germany where M$ isn't the only game in town.)  Because I work
> in an O97 environment, I use StarOffice; YMMV.
>
> -- Glenn

Robert L. Harris                |   Y1K = Dark Ages and Black Plague
Senior System Administrator II  |   Y2K = Windows2000 and BSOD
  at Great West Life.           \_

http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:

FYI: