[ale] Little NFS problem

jeff_hubbs at mcgraw-hill.com jeff_hubbs at mcgraw-hill.com
Tue May 4 17:43:32 EDT 1999

I'm trying to do an RH5.2 install via NFS and I'm running into a problem.

Exporting machine has a copy of the RH5.2 CD in /home/rh52/cdrom and is on the
network.  I can ping it, X to it, etc.  Its exports file has one line that reads

/home/rh52/cdrom/RedHat (ro)

I set this up in the exporting machine's control-panel.

I'm using an RH 5.1 boot floppy on the target machine because I get the "Kernel
Panic:  VFS:  Unable to mount root fs" error when I boot to a 5.2 boot disk in
this machine.  When I get to the part where I enter the NFS mount info, I put in
the IP address of the exporting machine and the path

/home/rh52/cdrom/RedHat

and I get something to the effect of "this directory doesn't appear to contain
Red Hat Linux."  I can ping the target machine when it gets to that point, so I
believe the two machines can see each other.  Anything look wrong to you?

- Jeff