[ale] network...

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. critter at wizvax.net
Tue May 4 07:24:55 EDT 1999

On Mon, 3 May 1999, Sar'Naa Archie wrote:

> what would be the cheapest and easiest way to setup a 286 on an
> network, and what could i use it for?
>
> I was thinkin I could load minix, do a serial connection, and use it as a
> dumb terminal. What other uses would a 286 have?

Not much.  I use my old 286 laptop as a dumb terminal and leave it
connected to my Linux box 24/7.  It uses very little power, so I don't
feel bad about leaving it on, thus if I just want to check my email
quickly, I don't need to wait for the CRT to warm up.

Flipside, I have had bad luck with minix, but I have a good terminal
program running under MSDOG on it.  If you want to stay opensource, you
might consider Caldera OpenDOS (previously DRDOS) instead.

--
Critter at Wizvax.Net
US Troops out of Kosovo NOW!