[ale] console...

Ben Phillips pynk at cc.gatech.edu
Sun May 2 14:38:18 EDT 1999

On Sun, 2 May 1999, Sar'Naa Archie wrote:

> is there a way to run a program in console...as opposed to the screen
> blanking out?

I'm guessing here, but I don't think console does that.  But I'm pretty
sure, that you can implement a cron job that will execute, say, once a
minute, which would parse the output of 'finger' to look for an idle time
past a certain threshold.  It could execute a program when the shortest
listed idle time is 15 minutes or however long you want the delay to be.

                      __   _
Ben Phillips         /  '_' )         ,,,    "If it's a hobby for us and a
pynk at cc.gatech.edu   |  | ()|||||||||[:::)   job for you, then why are you
                     \__.-._)         '''    doing such a shoddy job?"
		                              -- Linus Torvalds to Microsoft