[ale] News from the front: The O/S Wars Continue

JH hbbs at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 28 23:12:04 EDT 1999

It becomes rather ridiculous after a while, doesn't it?  The fact remains that
you can use Linux/Samba to make a FAST Web or Samba server.  And where did they
get the bit about 4 NICs??  What I think is cool is that you can make a pretty
fast Samba server out of "junk" with Linux, provided you've set things up such
that most of the time, the same files are being read out of Samba shares by SMB
clients over and over again, thereby taking advantage of Linux' ability to
manage its disk cache quite nicely.  This is the sort of thing that would happen
if you were using a Linux/Samba server to hold Windows apps.  I messed with this
myself using an Overdrive/100 PCI system with an ancient 1.6GB Micropolis SCSI
drive.  The drive was so slow that the first time you tried to launch a Windows
app from it, you could feel the lag...but the second time, ZAP!  No faster
machine would have really made any difference to anybody (my term for that is
"arbitrarily fast").  If you had an environment with a few hundred clients, you
could probably arrange things so that most of the time, everybody got that kind
of performance, even if the server hardware isn't exactly cutting-edge.

Legacy hardware re-use is one of the things I am keenly interested in, and Linux
helps make it possible.

- Jeff