[ale] RH6.0 and enabling 'telnet' and sibs

Gary Maltzen maltzen at mm.com
Fri Jun 25 12:16:55 EDT 1999

Ignore the "-a off" recommendation; that's a totally different feature.

It isn't clear to me how to disable reverse DNS lookup by telnet - I wish I
knew how as `who` typically shows truncated names; most FQHN don't fit in
the 15-character UTMP/WTMP fields originally designed to hold IP addresses.
Fortunately TCPD logs the IP address.

       -h     Used by other servers (i.e.,  telnetd(8))  to  pass
              the name of the remote host to login so that it may
              be placed in utmp and wtmp.  Only the superuser may
              use this option.

     The source code is not comprehensible.