[ale] Basic configuration advice needed.

Quinton McCombs quintonm at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 25 10:34:18 EDT 1999

Thanks for all of the replies.  Now for a few more questions...

1) How many separate file systems should I create for the base Linux
install?  For example, /var, /tmp, /, /etc....

2) Any suggestions approximate sizes of these partitions?

At 10:00 AM 6/25/99 -0400, Wandered Inn wrote:
>Nick Lucent wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 24, 1999 at 09:58:12PM -0400, Wandered Inn shook his
> keyboard and out fell:
> > > Protecting root is the primary reason.  There may be others, none I can
> > > think of at this time.  I don't know of any performance gains by doing
> > > it.
> >
> > I have heard that it also parallelizes(sp?) fsck, so if your box goes down
> > abnormally then it will come back up faster. But I havent seen this work
> > (Doesnt on my box, it does all the partitions one at a time.
>
>This is true, I've seen this.  I've got a number of partitions and when
>it does the fsck, you see messages indicating that it's starting on one
>filesystem, then another.  Sometimes the second finishes first,
>particularily if it is smaller.
>
>I think the main reason is to protect / from corruption.  In my older
>days as a sys. admin, it was not uncommon for a user to fill up, say
>/home by doing something, er, stupid.  With /home a separate file
>system, you didn't end up running out of space on /.  Makes a good
>argument to have /tmp a separate file system as well.
>

> > Nick
>
>--
>Until later: Geoffrey           esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
>
>It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
>         -- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day
they start making vacuum cleaners.