[ale] RH6.0 and enabling 'telnet' and sibs

Bradley Leonard bradley at stygianresearch.com
Fri Jun 25 09:19:59 EDT 1999

Yes there is.  You can either remove the /usr/sbin/tcpd from the lines in
/etc/inetd.conf (which I don't recommend) or you can edit the file
/etc/hosts.allow and add the following:

ALL: ALL

This will allow every machine in the world to connect to your machine.  If
your box is a masquerading box that is on both an internal network and the
internet I would recommend this configuration:

/etc/hosts.allow:

ALL: 10.5.5.0/255.255.255.0

/etc/hosts.deny:

ALL: ALL

These two entries will deny everybody in the world except for the machines
on the subnet 10.5.5.0.  They will have full access to the machine.

For more information regarding the format of these two files and on tcpd
in general, do a man on "tcpd" and "hosts.allow".

Brad