[ale] tar restore help

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Thu Jun 24 22:41:20 EDT 1999

Bob's ALE Mail wrote:

> IMHO about the only thing GNU screwed up was tar.  By default it strips the
> leading slash when creating or extracting archives.

As I recall, the reason for that was so that if you archived something
from /, you could extract it elsewhere, with less pain.  If the files
come out as foo/bar/foobar it will drop the files foobar in  ./foo/bar/
whereas if it comes out as /foo/bar/foobar, it's going to try and place
it relative to root, regardless of what you want to do.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl