[ale] 'fips' usage question

John Mills Jmills at TGA.com
Thu Jun 24 09:31:50 EDT 1999

  e-mail: jmills at tga.com

<HEAD>
charset=3DISO-8859-1">
5.5.2232.0">
<TITLE>'fips' usage question</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>'Lo -</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>I have just installed RH2.0 (Hedwig) with no =
problems on the top half of a 4 GBy disk. RH's install did its usual =
trick of creating an extended partition containing /, /home, and =
swap.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I want to shrink the FAT16 DOS/Win95 partition to =
half its current size and devote the freed 1 MBY to Linux, but =
Partition Magic (from the Mandrake repackaging of RH6.0) declines, =
since there is already a Linux partition.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>'fips' docs also caution that it should not be used =
on a system with more than one installed OS. I had hoped repartition, =
reboot Linux from a boot diskette, then rerun 'lilo' to rebuild my boot =
sector. Does anyone know a [reasonably] safe way to shrink my DOS =
partition and keep both my Linux installation and the content of my =
Win95 installation?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Thanks -</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>  John Mills, Sr. Software Engineer</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>  TGA Technologies, Inc.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>  100 Pinnacle Way, Suite 140</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>  e-mail: jmills at tga.com</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>  Norcross, GA 30071-3633</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>  Phone: 770-421-2100 ext.124 (voice)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>         =
770-449-7740 (FAX)</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>