[ale] job opportunity

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Thu Jun 24 08:15:50 EDT 1999

I work for AT&T and lead a small team of Web developers.  We are
responsible for a segment of AT&T's HR Intranet site as well as some
portions of their HR Internet site.  I'm looking to fill a couple of
positions that require some combination of the skills listed below.  The
skills are listed in the order of 'need.'

Both positions require the ability to communicate well with team members
as well as autonomy and the willingness to travel on occasion.  This
team is spread across three states, therefore most meetings are via
teleconference calls.  I can not emphasize the communication requires
enough.  I've worked virtual office for 3 years now, and the two skills
that are absolutely required are autonomy and communication.

Position 1:

HTML - if you can't write html in your dreams, don't apply
Perl - advanced perl experience is really a necessity here
Perl DBI/DBD - this is would be very nice
Java - this would be very nice, advanced Java experience would be
accepted in place of the Perl experience
Saphire Web development environment - this would be nice as well

Position 2:

Web Graphics design - current experience required.  We are truly looking
for an artist here.

Here's the deal.  Both positions present the opportunity to eventually
work from home full time, and work from home part time from the start.
The development environment is, unfortunately NT, both the server and
the laptop you would be provided.  You will be permitted to dual boot
Linux and NT on the laptop if you desire, but it will be your
responsibility to install Linux and reinstall NT.  Currently, the
laptops they are providing are Toshiba PII 233.  I have no experience
with these laptops and have no idea how well they might run Linux.  I
have an older model HP (Omnibook 5700) that is a wonderful Linux box. If
you do choose to dual boot, you must be comfortable enough with Samba to
install it and mount remote shares.  I personally do 90% of my work in
the Linux environment, but have to have NT currently for email (exchange
without IMAP or POP) and some documents (word/powerpoint).  We have vnc
running on our NT server, so you can connect to it via Linux.

For the graphics development opportunity, the same set up applies, but I
don't care what graphics tools you use.  GIMP, great, Photoshop, fine.
You want to use your Mac, fine.

When working from home, you are permitted to use your own hardware if
you so desire, as long as you follow particular guidelines regarding the
protection of proprietary information.

Send resumes' to me at gamyers at att.com or respond to this email.  These
opportunities are being presented to existing employees as well, but
they must have the skill sets listed above.  AT&T provides very good
benefits and salary will be based on experience and education.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl