[ale] jobs queued but cannot start demon <-HOW COME ?

Mike Kachline kachline at medept17.coon.gatech.edu
Wed Jun 23 23:27:13 EDT 1999

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Courtney Thomas wrote:

> Greetings !
>
> I get the above when trying to print from RedHat5.2 to RedHat4.2 print
> server.
> The runlevel editor allows me to start lpd w/o complaint but I still get
> said message.
<snip>
	Courtney,

	I suspect that you do may not have printer support compiled into
your kernel (or forgot to insmod the appropriate modules). Try "cat
devices", is there a device "6" called "lp" under "Character devices"? If
so, does something print out when you "cat /etc/passwd > /dev/lp0" or "cat
/etc/passwd > /dev/lp1"?

							- Mike
Michael Kachline CS, Georgia Institute of Technlology
kachline at brightstar.gt.ed.net
http://brightstar.gt.ed.net/kachline