[ale] Dual NICs

Dave Brooks dbrooks at comstar.net
Mon Jun 21 14:12:09 EDT 1999

Should be no problem, here goes nothing:

1)  Type 'cat /proc/interrupts' at a command line.  You should see
something like this:

elysium:[/etc]% cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:   42164765          XT-PIC  timer
  1:     226680          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
 10:     750582          XT-PIC  eth0
 12:    1333612          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
 14:     243342          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:          5          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
elysium:[/etc]%

As you can see, the numbers on the left correspond to an IRQ, and the
far right shows what that IRQ is being used by.  So basically, pick
something thats not in use and use it.  (if you have a sound card thats
not in use, and your IRQ 5 is open, dont pick that one).

Do an '/sbin/ifconfig' and get the I/O address off eth1.
You will then need to load the second ethernet card with:

insmod whatever.o io=whatever_it_is irq=whatever_you_picked

If that doesnt work, you may need to play with some modules..

-Dave
dbrooks at comstar.net

--
David A. Brooks