[ale] NFS

Mike Kachline kachline at medept17.coon.gatech.edu
Mon Jun 21 13:46:10 EDT 1999

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Patrick Ramsey wrote:

<snip>
> This is my server side exports entry for wab.util.
> /opt/utilbackup/wab    wab.util(rw)
>
> This is one of the client side mount entries in its fstab file. (wab.util)
> hasbro:/opt/utilbackup/wab  /mnt/utilbackup     nfs     rw,bg,hard,rsize=1024,wsize=1024 0 0
>
> Reading from the NFS is fine...but attempting to write returns  "Permission Denied" from server.
<snip>
	Yep. I saw exactly this problem getting my Diskless box up and
running. Try adding the "no_root_squash" option to your server
/etc/exports. Thus...

/opt/utilbackup/wab wab.util(rw,no_root_squash)

	Someone else will have to explain the security implications of
this, for, I don't think that the "no_root_squash" option is a good idea.
Perhaps scp and ssh could also be of use for you?

							- Mike
Michael Kachline CS, Georgia Institute of Technlology
kachline at brightstar.gt.ed.net
http://brightstar.gt.ed.net/kachline