[ale] debugging FORTRAN

Eric Z. Ayers eric.ayers at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 20 11:32:23 EDT 1999

Just a quick perusal from the man pages show that g77 works the same
as gcc - you must add the -g flag to the command line when you compile
your programs if you want debugging symbols in your program.  GDB
won't do much without them.  Try recompiling your code with

g77 -g <sourcefile> -o <output file>

and then run GDB on your file:

$ gdb <output file>

(gdb) break main
(gdb) run <command-line arguments>

Use 'next' to step from one line to the next
'list' to look at the current line of source code.

If you have a core dump

$ gdb <output file> <core file>

$ gdb mytest core

(gdb) list    # will show you the code around where you crashed
(gdb) where   # will show a backtrace of all the subroutines

Hope that helped.
-Eric.