[ale] Booting RedHat 5.2

Gary Maltzen maltzen at mm.com
Fri Jun 18 11:03:45 EDT 1999

An alternate solution...

 1) shrink HDA3 slightly (2MB)
 2) create HDA4 as an extended partition
 3) create HDA5 as a minimal (2MB) logical
 4) copy vmlinuz to HDA5
    dd if=vmlinuz of=/dev/hda5
 5) set the root of HDA5 to HDD1
    rdev /dev/hda5 /dev/hdd1
 6) set root read-only at boot
    rdev -R /dev/hda5 1
 7) add HDA5 to your boot menu

This is equivalent to booting the kernel image from floppy and bypasses the
need to use LILO.

Yes, you could also have placed *just* the /boot (4MB) directory (with LILO)
on HDA5 to make life easier.

(Was the inclusion of dots in your return address an explicit move to make
your address create errors when replying?)